Saturday, December 22, 2012

Post-Finals Childhood Reversion and Miss Universe Pageant

As the stress of the past two weeks as well as the entire semester lifted, I turned to Hulu and Netflix for appropriate non-academic entertainment. I had already caught up on the Mindy Project on Thursday in between studying and freaking out about physics. I also watched the most recent episodes of Gossip Girl and New Girl earlier in this finals week.

Fortunately I stumbled across a personal childhood favorite, The Aristocats, on Netflix! I've been wanting to watch it for some time now but my only copy is at home and is on VHS.

It was quite as lovely as I remembered though much more vintage quality. I had no idea the film was made in 1970. The animation was nowhere near the quality that it is now. However, I actually found the film style quite charming. I really liked the more raw, sketch-like quality it had. And the little kitties were so adorable.

I can't remember the last time I watched it but I don't think I fully understood the plot. It's a tribute to the quality of the film that even as a young adult I was still able to enjoy it.

 http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/classic-disney/images/609168/title/aristocats-wallpaper
I totally recommend checking it out.

Full disclosure: Before I watched the Aristocats, a friend and I watched the Miss Universe pageant on Hulu. It was actually really entertaining and my friend and I found ourselves picking favorites from the start. We loved Miss India, especially because she was a software engineer! Though we were disappointed that she didn't make the top 10, we were quickly distracted by the gorgeous dresses of Miss Australia and Miss Russia who did make the top 10.

Miss Australia wore this beautiful white strapless fitted (like, a lingerie top, with cups...) gown with gorgeous detailing along the top part of the skirt. She pulled off a formal white gown without managing to look bridal. 
http://www.abc15.com/gallery/news/news_photo_gallery/Copy_of_photos-miss-universe-2012-pageant-wptv1356048773463
Miss Russia's beaded gown was channeling the ice princesses of her land. The royal blue skirt complemented the metallic grey top very well. Those colors really worked on her. She looked absolutely stunning. I hope one day I will be able to wear a beautiful beaded piece like their gowns.
 http://features.rr.com/photo/0cWM4h6aiPfs7?q=Las+Vegas%2C+NV
We were also incredibly impressed with Miss Philippine's response to an awkwardly placed question (see footage) and Miss USA grew on us once we heard her speak.

Not planning on watching any more pageants anytime soon, but I will have to say that those are some pretty awesome women who kick major butt. They're not only gorgeous, but many of them are great citizens of world who volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment