Tuesday, December 11, 2012

15 minutes of Sartorial Fame

As I raced to my room after dinner, 20 minutes before The Sartorialist was scheduled to speak, my mind jumped to what I could throw on that wouldn't be completely socially unacceptable to wear to a talk by a well known fashion blogger and photographer. I settled for swapping my layers of polar fleece for my latest vintage thrifted piece; a black silk, sequined and beaded top which I paired with the bottoms I was already wearing, my dark green military pants tucked into black bogs (rain...). In case I felt totally ridiculous, I slipped on my shamrock green pea coat that I could hide under.

Chatting with a friend and fellow Sartorialist fan on the way over to his talk, I remembered his more recent posts about peacoats and day sequins (though, as my friend reminded me, it was no longer daytime) and felt more confident in my fashion choices. And honestly, when am I not thinking about day sequins and peacoats.

I have to say, I really enjoyed his talk. It was so interesting to hear about his process (or sometimes lack of process) of shooting people and what he aims to achieve in his photos. He said he doesn't travel or shoot people to report on upcoming trends, but essentially he tries to capture images of an individual's style. I could appreciate his great attention to detail as he described a recent shot of a student who drew him in at the Art Institute of Chicago, from her energy down to the slight shimmer of her makeup.

The people-watching at the event was almost as great as Scott's talk. It was so wonderful to see the range of people and styles that his blog appeals to, from a nearly shirtless flamboyant man in a white furry vest, to chic women in little black dresses, to that one girl I had talked to a million times and never heard express an interest in clothing who stood in line to get her book signed in cutoff shorts and lime green shutter-shades. 

With a great lecture, and nearly equally as fabulous people-watching, how could my experience possibly have gotten better, you ask? Scott Schuman instagrammed me (or rather my beautifully knit mittens by my lovely mother). Holla! 1643 likes and counting.

check it out for yourself: http://instagram.com/p/TG59G-lANi/


-An adorable student at Wellesley

No comments:

Post a Comment